Saturday, September 15, 2012

Thing #8: Please...no more Flickr...

letter B letter R Rubber Stamp Letter E Wooden Brick Letter N N letter a n36

When I first saw that Thing #8 was about Flickr, I wanted to throw a temper tantrum.  I strongly dislike Flickr and I had no interest in using the website again.  I began exploring some of the mash-ups and I instantly became obsessed with "Spell with Flickr."  When I was in high school, I took a photography class.  One of my favorite projects was when we had to go out and take photographs of things that looked like letters so we could eventually spell out a word.  When it came to "Spell with Flickr," creating the words was one thing; uploading them was entirely different.  It took me a while to figure out how to get them to show up on my blog, but it actually turned out to be pretty straightforward.  

Applications such as "Spell with Flickr" and "Mappr" could be used in various ways in the classroom.  Mappr would be great to use for a geography unit.  Children could find pictures of places they have been or places they would like to go, and those pictures could be uploaded and positioned on a map.  Images could be placed in the classroom blog so parents could see examples of their child's work.  "Big Huge Labs" offers a variety of applications, such as jigsaw.  Most children love puzzles; Jigsaw would be great for an indoor recess option or as a quiet learning activity if a child has completed their work early.  

As for my feelings about sharing photos online, I think it is fine as long as they are appropriate.  Especially when working with children, teachers need to be very aware of what their students are being exposed to.  In addition, if teachers are uploading pictures of their students to their classroom blog, they must get the parent's permission first.  


letter I letter n S Foam Letter p letter I Wooden Brick Letter R e

2 comments:

  1. I did not like Flickr very much..It was my first time using it..I doubt I will ever use it again..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that as a teacher, we must keep in mind what may or may not be appropriate for the age group that we are teaching. For example, I am a k-6 education major but I want to teach 2nd grade. As a second grade teacher, I do not want to use words that are too far beyond their reasoning to grasp the concept of the words I choose to use.

    ReplyDelete