Saturday, September 22, 2012

Thing #11: Finding Good Feeds

The Cool Cat Teacher Blog about selecting good RSS feeds was very insightful.  She gave very helpful tips as to choosing which blogs to follow.  One of my favorite tips was, "Look for people who inspire you.  Life is too tough to have real and virtual people dragging you down."  So true.  Why would you want to subject yourself to reading down-in-the-dumps blogs when you have complete control over what you read?

As I looked through the EduBlog winners, I didn't find much that I felt I absolutely had to read on a daily basis.  However, when I started exploring Google Blog Search, I found several blogs that I was interested in.  It was so easy to add them to my Google Reader feed too! All I had to do was find the RSS icon, click on it, and the blog was instantly added to my feed.  Searching for blogs of interest was so easy using Google Reader; I just had to type in a phrase, such as  "teaching second grade," and I was able to find several blogs to add to my RSS feed.  I added one blog, "Sunny Days in Second Grade," which has fantastic ideas for lesson plans, building classroom communities, and just plain hilarious stories about the adventures of second grade.  Most of the useful feeds I found were teacher blogs and websites  

I thought Topix and Technorati were kind of confusing because there was a lot going on as soon as you entered the page.  I think from now on, I will stick with Google Blog Search.

No comments:

Post a Comment