Saturday, September 8, 2012

Thing #5: School 2.0

The two videos highlighted on APSU's 23 Things Blog provided a helpful explanation as to the meaning of Web 2.0.  This opened up a whole new understanding for me as to how these new technologies can be used productively in the classroom.  

I used to think that having too much technology in the classroom could be a "bad thing."  Maybe that's because I grew up without cable, I had dial-up internet until I was a sophomore in high school (2006), and my sister and I played outside, instead of being immersed in video games.  I realize that times are changing, schools (and students) are becoming more technologically advanced and it is generally to our advantage to keep up with the ever-changing world of technology.  

To me, School 2.0 is the phrase that describes how schools are changing to include all of these new technologies.  Teachers are using iPads, Smartboards, Blogs, YouTube, social networking and so on to facilitate learning and engage their students.  Children have a short attention span as it is, but adding interactive technology to lessons and activities will keep them interested, and hopefully, make the learning "stick."  

I think schools will continue to change with the technology, constantly adding new gadgets and gizmos to help students learn and grow.  Let's just hope they don't find a way to replace teachers with holograms...

No comments:

Post a Comment