Saturday, September 22, 2012

Thing #12: Googling

Just like many of the tools I'm discovering through the 23 Things Project, I was unaware that Google had so many great (and free!) web tools for teachers.  I wasn't a fan of Google alert because I didn't know what to search for.  I try to watch the news every night, so I couldn't really think of any topic that I would absolutely need an email to update me.  I'm not a big sports fan, so I definitely did not want to get an email about the two teams that I have to like just because I'm from the state (Go Packers and Brewers!)  

Google Calendar, on the other hand, is a wonderful tool for teachers.   This is a great way to keep everyone that is involved in the classroom/school environment (parents, students, colleagues and principals) up-to-date.  Not only can you share your own schedules, but you can see others calendars as well.  This could be useful when setting up parent/teacher conferences, meetings, project/assignment schedules, etc.  Google Calendar can be sent to your phone and you can choose to receive reminders by email or text message.  

Google Translate is also an excellent resource for teachers, especially if they students whose home language is something other than English. Google Translate even as an app for Smart phones where you can speak into your phone and it will translate your words into the language of your choice.  Sometimes, Google Translate is not perfectly accurate, but generally it will get the "bulk of a message" across.  It is especially useful in a pinch if a teacher can't get an interpreter in time.  I translated my own blog into French! Click on the link below:

The French Version of "The Brennan Breeze

2 comments:

  1. wow, you are so up ahead on the 23 things. Yep, google is awesome, I did not know of all those feature that google had. I mostly use it as a search engine, but that is really cool. I thimk that google translate is pretty cool I started messing with it I liked it, and really feel like it can be a great tool to have when trying to communicate with students and parents who do not speak English. I enjoyed your blog I learned a lot by reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tool for teaching! I will definitely use it one day, thanks for sharing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete