Monday, October 29, 2012

Thing #18: Social Networking

I am part of the 41.6% of the U. S population that has a Facebook page.  Here is a link to my page, although I'm not sure how much of it you will be able to see because of my privacy settings. 
http://www.facebook.com/emily.brennan.13

It is important for teachers to know about social networking because it opens a lot of doors for communicating with colleagues, parents, and other professionals in the field.  Social networking allows an easy, comfortable exchange of information and ideas.  Before I moved here and transferred schools, I was in the School of Education at the University of Wisconsin.  Similar to APSU's "milestone" program, UWM had "blocks."  We would move from block to block with the same group of people (called a cohort).  My cohort had a Facebook group and we used it to ask about homework, remind each other of deadlines, exchange ideas about projects, and plan group activities outside of school.  Facebook was a really convenient way to make sure everyone was on the same page. 

One thing I dislike about social networking is the lack of privacy.  Even though my page is set to private, I still worry that somehow, people will find my information (not that I have anything to hide, haha).  I only add friends who I would really like to stay in touch with, which is why I did not add any friends like the 23 Things post suggested.  In fact, I am slowly but surely cleaning up my friends list.  I think as long as users are careful about what they post online, having a Facebook is okay.

I could see myself having a classroom Facebook page to keep parents, students, and other teachers "in the know."  This would be one of many forms of communication I would use in my classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment