Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Thing #15: Wikis

My freshman year in college, I had a group project in which we had to create a wiki about a particular political issue.  I was not a fan of this project whatsoever; maybe because I was the one who had to do most of the work or maybe because I didn't fully understand the concept of a wiki.  After watching the video, "Wikis in Plain English," I had a more vivid picture of the concept.  I also loved the example of 10th grade English Literature Circle wiki--what a creative way to hold a discussion!

For the Sandbox wiki activity, I created my own page titled, "Thing 8 by Emily Brennan."  I uploaded one of my image creations from Thing 8 to share with my classmates.  I also un-highlighted some text on Doshanna's page because I didn't like the color.  I also deleted some superfluous bullet-points and changed the color of some text.  How fun!

As with almost every technological advancement, there are good and bad points about wikis.  I definitely think it's cool that everyone who views the wiki has the ability to change information.  This gives way to an endless supply of knowledge, unless of course, someone decides to change or add information so that the wiki becomes incorrect and unreliable.  That is the downfall of wikis.  Sometimes, it is difficult for users to tell which information is correct and updated and which is not.  Despite this, I think wikis are an excellent tool to facilitate learning.  Wikis encourage cooperative learning and therefore, are a perfect option for a group project.

No comments:

Post a Comment