Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Thing #14: Go with the Flow

The first website I clicked on was Gliffy. Gliffy is such a great site because not only users create flowcharts, but they also have access to template for Venn diagrams and other organizational tools.  I decided to create a flow chart using this website.  I did not particularly like the format and layout of the website, but I think with time and practice, I would get better at it.  I started looking for ideas about what to make my flow chart on and I found this website that explained the meaning of the symbols.  (elongated circles=start or end of the process, rectangles=show instructions, diamonds=decisions that have to be made).  Who knew that those shapes actually had a meaning?? I decided to make a flowchart that outlined one of the main responsibilities I have at work: paying the bills.

Here's my example:

Next, I tried Bubbl.  Before, I wasn't sure of the difference between mind maps and flow charts, but now I understand that mind maps are more of a "brainstorming" type of activity.  I could see using a mind map before writing a paper or doing a project in order to get ones idea down on paper.  This website was alright; I found it hard to get started, but I could see students enjoying the use of this website as a prewriting activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment